:: WELCOME ::

i felt compelled to create this blog with the thought of all those who have helped me as i continue my journey of cake decorating. if not for those creative minds who were brave enough to put themselves out there i would not have learned so many wonderful things or been as inspired as i am. i am just starting on my path to greatness! (ha ha!) i hope to document my progress through this blog. give out tips i have learned. make more connections with the decorating world. and perhaps someday give someone a little inspiration myself. so welcome and thank you for stopping by!

Thursday, May 10, 2012

This cake will self destruct....


Remember the Pirate Map cake? To this day one of my favorites, Toothless is pretty close!  Well I had a call from the Mom, the son wanted a Spy cake. I knew this was going to be another fun one! Oh I had a blast coming up with ideas for this cake, unfortunately time and money always get in the way of those cake plans. So this is what I came up with. My favorite part of this cake.well it is a toss-up between the fingerprints on the side of the case and the gigantic bomb that had a sparkler candle in it so it would look lit when they lighted it! The Mom told me that people were coming from all over the park to see the cake (blush) and that some of the kids did not believe that it was a cake and wanted to know where the real cake was!! (blush again!) That is the best part about this little hobby, peoples reactions, especially kids reactions!!  




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This cake is amazing! I would like to make a similar cake for my daughters spy birthday party next week. May I ask how you got the straight indentation around the cake to make it look like it can open and close?

I hope my question makes sense!!

aubrey said...

WOW! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!! Yes, your question makes total sense!! I first used a ruler and measured an even line all the way around the cake and marked it very lightly with my fondant tool, but you could use a knife too. The marks were about and inch or two apart. Then I jut went back around and carefully connected them all, doing it lightly at first and then as needed made the indent a little deeper.

I hope that makes sense!!!

Thank you again for the wonderful comments! May I ask how you happened upon my picture?

Good luck with the cake, I would LOVE to see a picture when you are done : nicnivinblue@gmail.com